We are now hiring School Bus Drivers!
· Must be 21 years old and have at least 5 years of licensed driving experience as well as a good driving record.
· No DUI’s in the past 7 years. Prospective drivers will not be hired if, according to the safe driver plan, they have more than 5 points in the last year or more than 10 points in the last 3 years, or have been convicted of a DWI – Driving While Impaired, DUI – Driving Under the Influence, or Driving with Unlawful Alcohol Level in the past 7 years. Applicants could be denied consideration due to a moving violation record on their license.
· Must have no felony convictions.
· Must have a Permit for a Class B CDL with Air Brakes, “P” Passenger Endorsement, and “S” School Bus Endorsement.
· Must pass a DOT physical before employment begins and each year after. You must be in good physical condition. Applicants who are insulin dependent diabetics will not be considered for employment.
· Must submit to random drug and alcohol testing before employment begins and at any time while employed.
· Must be able to fill out written reports and complete paperwork legibly.
· Must follow written and verbal directions.
· Must be able to pass a yearly dexterity test.
· Must be able to work well with supervisors, personnel, and be able to maintain control of students and the bus.
1. Complete an online application now. All required documents including work references from your past supervisors must be on file before your application is complete. Work references and work history must match! References from friends, co-workers, neighbors etc. will not be accepted. Your application must be complete with Human Resources to be considered for an interview. If you have questions about your application or references, please contact Human Resources at (321) 633-1000 Ext. 11225 or 11227. Once complete, stop by the Transportation Office to complete an Applicant Information form.
2. Obtain a CDL class “B” permit with P & S endorsements: In order to be trained on a bus, you must either already have a CDL Class A or B with Air Brakes, “P” Passenger Endorsement, and “S” School Bus Endorsement or obtain your CDL class "B" permit with P and S endorsements. This is done by going online to www.flhsmv.gov/handbook, and study and read the CDL handbook PDF. Study sections 1-5 & 10-13 then go to the DMV office to take the written portions of the general knowledge, air brakes, “P” passenger and “S” School bus endorsement test. There is a $6.25 administrative fee and a $7 per written endorsement test fee. A $10 fee will be charged if you need to re-exam. Once you have passed all these tests, bring your Permit to the office so that we can make a copy.
3. Contact appropriate transportation office: They will need a copy of your driver license and your CDL permit. Let them know your application is complete.
4. Wait for a call for an interview: Once class dates have been determined and your application has been selected you will be contacted for an interview with a supervisor.
5. Cleared for further paperwork: Once Human Resources has received and processed all required documents and you have been given the all clear from HR to proceed with additional paperwork, you will move to the next step!
6. Complete the background check & fingerprints
7. Physical and drug test: You will be scheduled for a DOT physical and drug test. This physical is done at Health First in Melbourne. If for any reason you do not pass, you must contact the area supervisor as soon as possible, and all training will be delayed.
8. Start as a regular bus driver (paid status) If you are selected for employment, you will begin your employment by attending a training class at the Bus Compound in Cocoa. Once you have completed and passed the class, you will then be trained by a Driver Trainer on the CDL and then move onto the County training requirements. This training time depends on the hours per day you are trained, and how quickly you pick up the information. Once you are cleared, you can go to the DMV and get your Commercial Drivers License.
Frequently Asked Questions
What positions are available?
We are currently hiring as Regular Drivers. You will be required to work every day. Part time work is available as well.
How do I get trained?
All training is provided once you a have completed application with HR, get your CDL Class B permit with P and S endorsements, and are chosen for an interview.
Will I receive payment for training?
You will begin being paid the first day of classroom training and there after.
What is the starting pay?
$13.36 per hour paid semi-monthly.
If you do not stay for 1 year as a driver you will be required to pay back the School District for the cost of your CDL Training and License. (Approximately $3500)
Supervisor: Cleveland Reid
Secretary: Kim Hensley
1500 Draa Road
Titusville, FL 32796
Covers the areas of Titusville, Mims, Scottsmoor, and Port St. John.
Supervisor: Susan Savastio
2091 W. King Street
Cocoa, FL 32920
(321)633-3680, ext. 3
Covers the areas of Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, Cocoa, Merritt Island, Rockledge, and Viera
Supervisor: Michelle Roy
Secretary: Karen Bowers
1978 Pineapple Ave.
Melbourne, FL 32935
Covers the areas of Viera, Melbourne area from 192 to Pineda, and Beachside to the Inlet
Supervisor: Teresa Sumner
Secretary: Michele (Shelly) Acker
3200 Monroe Street
Melbourne, FL 32901
Covers the areas of Melbourne - South of 192, Palm Bay, Barefoot Bay, and Micco