AVID Elementary at Golfview
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
We are very proud to be the only AVID Elementary School in Brevard County. Visitors to our campus will notice right away that our students are part of a scholarly environment that promotes college readiness. Golfview parents, teachers, and administrators are working together to build a culture that encourages a positive, safe, academically challenging community which holds all students accountable to high expectations.
In addition to teacher created “College Corners” in every classroom and college pennants throughout our campus, Golfview students are motivated to be college bound through supportive instruction that emphasizes organization, note-taking, higher level thinking, and collaboration.
What can you expect from Golfview AVID Classrooms?
· All students receive a three-ring binder and pencil pouch to assist them in using the LIFESKILL of organization.
· Each grade level has expectations for the set-up and use of the binders that are communicated to both the students and their families.
· The instructional agenda for the day is posted in every classroom.
· Students use planners to record important assignments and information for use at both home and school.
· AVID trained teachers utilize lessons that integrate Writing to learn, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading to learn (WICOR).
· Students are taught to identify and use higher Levels of Thinking to promote deeper inquiry, a skill necessary for success in the 21st Century.
· Our 6th grade students are well prepared for the transition to middle school through the use of AVID’s Point of Confusion, a method of peer tutoring through questioning that helps students learn to be problem solvers through both collaboration and self-advocacy.
Through working together, we can help our students build their determination to succeed and give them the tools they need to achieve their college goals. Please plan to attend our AVID Parent University Nights (see newsletter for dates) to learn more about the AVID program and how to prepare your child to be college and career ready.